Re: Wrong MAKEDEV

Hello, Kevin!

> > The most serious problem with GNU Hurd I encountered so far is that
> > /dev/MAKEDEV from the Debian distribution knows nothing about Hurd
> > devices. It is for Linux, not for Hurd. Ask Hurd developers for a better
> > MAKEDEV. You can take one from
> > ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/gnu-19990104.tar.gz

Have you seen the native MAKEDEV? It works basically, except that some
devices are created in the root directory.
It also triggers a bug in bash-2.02 ("time" inside "case" statement),
which is corrected in bash-2.03

By the way, I haven't seen in any FAQ a command for making pipes work.
I used

mkdir /dervers/socket
settrans /servers/socket/1 /hurd/pflocal

This is a guesswork. It can be incorrect. However dpkg doesn't work
without pipes. Please put it somewhere in the FAQ - it will save a lot of
time for Hurd newbees.

Pavel Roskin