Re: Hurd on my i486 won't boot

From: Adam Sampson <azz@josstix.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Hurd on my i486 won't boot
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:38:28 +0000

> Yes, I'm interested; I'd like to see Hurd running on the 486. (And for those
> of you that are interested, Hurd won't boot under VMWare, due to VMWare's
> dodgy MMU emulation.) What exactly needs to be done? Presumably I can
> cross-compile gnumach under Linux without too much bother; I'd hope that
> there wouldn't be too much work involved in porting the FPU emulation over.
> I've had no experience of i386 assembler yet, and I'd assume that I'd need
> to know some for this. But I'm willing to give it a go, if you can give me
> some pointers.

  For x86 information, try to see http://www.x86.org/. You need to
know the general design of x86 processors and IRQ handling. I
recommend that you will read Intel Architecture Software Developer's
Manual Volume 1-3.

OKUJI Yoshinori  <okuji@kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp>           ^o-o^
http://duff.kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~okuji (in English)     m /