Re: [bam@snoopy.apana.org.au: Re: Settle for /usr symlink (!)]

Can someone get this forwarded to the appropriate list where the
discussion is happening?  I don't care if it gets edited appropriately
in the process.

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> Problems:
> 1.a) each package must be checked to ensure that it is compatable
>         with the new scheme.
> 1.b) breaks Debian policy as it doesn't comply with file system
>         standard.

(1.b) is not true; I was very careful to make sure that the FSSTND
does not require a separate /usr.  (You can't get rid of /usr, but you
can make it a symlink, and still comply with FSSTND.)

> 2) The biggest problems I see with completely removing /usr.
>
> Problems:
> a) the enormus number of Debian packages that must be changed.
> b) changing *every* reference in each package, including
>    any references in the documentation to /usr/...

Agreed, and for this reason it should not be eliminated.  All I think
is feasible is making it a symlink.

Thomas