Re: Success, to some extent

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> > /dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
>
> This is a strange bug that Idon't fully understand yet. I just know that it
> vanishes in the second run of --pending --configure.

/dev/fd is currently used mostly by certain cases in #! exec.  Exec
tries to figure out a filename to give as the argument to the exec.
Unlike the Unix exec call, the exec server does not have access to the
actual pathname the user specified to do the exec, so it tries to find
the file.

If the file being execed is argv[0] or can be found in the path under
the name argv[0], and if the exec is not setuid, then it takes the
filename thus found and uses it as the argument to the script.

Otherwise (if we are setuid, or if the file could not be located) then
it hooks the file up to a new descriptor NNN and sets the script
filename to /dev/fd/NNN.  Probably this is where the case you are
seeing comes from.

You would be getting the error message in question probably because
the /dev/fd translator is not yet set up at that stage in the install.

Two possible fixes: set up the translator earlier, or find out what
the script is that exec can't find under its name.

Thomas