Re: Newbie hurdsman problems

On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 12:53:46AM +0000, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Mark Lundeberg wrote:
>
> <snip>These are all standard installation problems. I suggest you follow
> the instructions at http://pick.sel.cam.ac.uk/~mcv21/hurd.html

Hi Matthew, I checked the guide and found no information hopw to install
from the tar file, which is really faster and a lot easier. Can you add
them?

You have to untar it and then recreate the device files, in short, rm /dev/*
ln -s ../sbin/MAKEDEV /dev/MAKEDEV, and cd /, ./native-install.
This is instead step three and five.

Also, please link the install files from alpha, so they are always up to
date.

> All Debian GNU/Hurd packages should work fine whether you have the symlink
> or not. I personally would recommend going with the Hurd philosophy, and there are
> no outstanding bugs anymore in this regard.

This is plain wrong. /bin/vi is still broken.

> TERM=mach; export TERM

shorter: export TERM=mach, or even TERM=mach.