Re: Installing HURD

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 02:31:36PM -0700, Max wrote:
> On 13 Jan 1999, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > Max <tazq@crazy.ml.org> writes:
> >
> >    I read  "The idiot's guide to installing Hurd on a linux box.".
> >    Unfortuantely I couldn't find the file mentioned (gnu-0.2.tar.gz) on
> >    alpha.gnu.org or on ftp.gnu.org or ftp.debian.org.  Perhaps I'm blind.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnu-0.2/gnu-0.2.tar.gz
> Thanks.  Wow.  71 megs is a bit excessive, don't you think? :)
> How far is Debian-Hurd to becoming installable?  Or is it, and is there a
> paper somewhere to explain how to do it?

Is all you need. Get the tar file, extract it, boot.

You also need a GRUB boot disk, don't forget that. Further Debian packages
are in the binary-hurd-i386 tree in unstable (not too many right no, but

The tar file is about 9,5 MB, which should be acceptable.

Matthew should update the idiot's guide...