Hurd won't boot :(

Dear hurd people,

	I have been following the instructions on the FAQ for installing
hurd on a debian box:

repartitioned hdb:
hdb1 1.5G hurd
hdb2 128k hurd (for use as swap)
hdb3 the rest linux/ext2

mke2fs -o hurd /dev/hdb1

mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
cd /mnt
tar -xvzpf /tmp/gnu-0.2.tar.gz
mv gnu-0.2/* .
rmdir gnu-0.2

changed /mnt/etc/fstab so device is /dev/hd1a and format is ext2

changed the default pager in /mnt/boot/servers.boot to /dev/hd1b
also changed to first line from /hurd/ufs.static to /hurd/ext2fs.static

boot grub disk in and reboot

hit c

at prompt type

root=(hd1,0) (which should be equivalent to /dev/hdb1 which is the hurd
root)

and I get this error:

filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x63

(which IIRC is the hurd type)

I get the same if I use (hd1,1), but using (hd1,2) (i.e. /dev/hdb2 the
linux partition) gives the succes message (i.e. ext2 filesystem found)

What have I done wrong?

What can I do to get hurd up, please?

Thanks,

Matthew