building a native compiler

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone has had experience (and hopefully
success) in building a native compiler for hurd. I'm not sure of the exact
process required (i'm not very familiar with cross-compiling, so i may
have screwed up somewhere in that area), so I have some potentially stupid
questions :)

In any case, I can't seem to get binutils-2.9.1 to compile using my cross
compiler. It bails while building gprof, at this point:

make[1]: Entering directory `/gnu-hurd/src/binutils-2.9.1/gprof'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBUG -I../bfd
-I./../include -I./../bfd  -g -O2 -c gmon_io.c
In file included from gmon_io.c:13:
hertz.h:16: machine/mach_param.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [gmon_io.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/gnu-hurd/src/binutils-2.9.1/gprof'
make: *** [all-gprof] Error 2

I tried making a directory at /usr/i386-gnu/include/machine and copying
/usr/i386-gnu/include/mach/mach_param.h, but that doesn't appear to be the
right header file.

Has anyone been through this before?

I've also been having troubles trying to build make 3.77 (make and
binutils are the only prerequisites for bootstrapping gcc/egcs, right?) --
configure doesn't even complete on make, because it tries to run the
"test" program which was of course compiled for hurd and therefore won't
execute on my gnu/linux machine. Similarly frustrating is the fact that
the build.sh alternative which is mentioned in the documentation was not
present. Perhaps this is a bug with make; i'm not sure.

-Ed