Re: What will the HURD boot loader be?

Hi!

 FPE> Will the HURD boot loader be LILO or GRUB or something else?

As Mark said, GRUB.

 FPE> I am looking for a package to maintain that is particularly
 FPE> needed by the HURD.

GRUB is definitely needed.  The only problem is that it is difficult
to package ``properly.''

I don't know how LILO is packaged in Debian, but the problem with GRUB
is that there is no Linux tool for managing your GRUB configuration.
The important part of GRUB's installation currently has to be done
within GRUB itself (i.e. at boot time), which throws a monkey wrench
into automatic upgrades.

If you replace /boot/grub/stage2, then you essentially destroy the
machine's boot setup until you are able to boot from a GRUB floppy and
run something like

install= (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 0x8000 p

If you or anybody else is interested in writing a lilo(8)-like tool to
install GRUB from under Linux, then you should have a look at
grub-0.5/docs/embedded_data.txt, the description of `install=' in
commands.txt, and take a look at PC_partitioning.txt.  If all that
seems simple enough to you, then please talk with Erich Boleyn.  The
next step would probably be to write up a proposal for a boot tool, CC
this list (and probably also bug-hurd@gnu.org), and talk about it with
a few people to see what would be useful.

Until GRUB has a Linux tool that can automatically manage
installations, it's going to be a pretty big PITA for new Hurd users
to figure out.  It already has been up to this point. :(

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)