Grub Boot for Linux

Grant Bowman <grantbow@svpal.org> writes:
> If you could, I would also like to boot my system with GRUB, but am having
> difficulties.  My system sounds very similar to yours.  Please let me know
> if you find anything that's not posted to the list.  I would really
> appreciate it.

Ok well now I can boot my linux system from GRUB on the hurd floppy.
I made to changes. Added an entry to the menu.lst for GRUB, and
compiled a kernel with my boot partion defined.

My next trick will be to make GRUB and HURD bootable from the zip disk.
Then, and probably when I actually have a reason to run hurd, I'll
install grub on my harddisk.

The GRUB docs say it doesn't pass boot prompt stuff to the kernel.
This will be a problem if you need that. I don't think I do anymore.
The latest kernels detect memory over >64meg. And the root partion can
be specified when compiling the kernel.

The boot partion is defined in the ./linux/Makefile, as follows;

#
# ROOT_DEV specifies the default root-device when making the image.
# This can be either FLOPPY, CURRENT, /dev/xxxx or empty, in which case
# the default of FLOPPY is used by 'build'.
#
#ROOT_DEV = CURRENT # The original setup
ROOT_DEV = /dev/sda2

My GRUB list looks like this to boot off /dev/sda2;
#
# menu.lst - GRUB configuration file for the GNU Boot Floppy
#
title= Install Debian GNU/Hurd (not yet implemented)
kernel= /boot/gnumach.gz root=fd0
module= /boot/serverboot.gz

title=	Install bootloader (DANGEROUS!)
pause=  Hit Escape to abort, Enter to continue...
install= (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 0x8000 p

title=  Start an installed bootloader
root=	(hd0,0)
chainloader= +1

title= David's Hurd Installation on the harddisk (sd0s4)
root=(fd0)
kernel= /boot/gnumach.gz root=sd0s4
module= /boot/serverboot.gz
boot

title= David's Hurd Installation on the zip disk
root=(fd0)
kernel= /boot/gnumach.gz root=sd1s0
module= /boot/serverboot.gz
boot

title= David's Linux Boot 2.1.117 from the harddisk
root=(hd0,1) #where the grub stuff is
# This kernel has /dev/sda2 compiled in as default root
kernel= (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.1.117
boot

--
Binary Bar - Australia's first free access internet bar/cafe/gallery.
243 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia. 3pm - 1am