Re: Base set is coming closer...

Hi!

 MB>    sysvinit (? is there some hurd-ism to care about?),

 MK> the Hurd init is BSD style and has a lot of Hurd-isms.  Is a
 MK> System V like init really necessary?

It should be easy to change the Hurd init so that it understands sysv
conventions, but there are more important things to do right now.

 MK> I believe Hurd filesystem translators do periodic syncing
 MK> themselves.  At least there is some code in libdiskfs to do that.

Yes, they do this, so nobody has to worry about sync/update or
whatever.

 MB> Is it possible to include an empty file in the package, or should
 MB> it be created in the post install script?

 MK>    # touch /servers/exec
 MK>    # settrans ...

# settrans --create --go-away /servers/exec /hurd/exec

creates /servers/exec if it doesn't already exist, and tells the old
/hurd/exec translator to go away if it is active (which it will be on
a running system).

 MB>    Then I think I'll try to understand why the current hurd
 MB> snapshot does not work. A fresh snapshot from the developers
 MB> would be fine, too, if they think they have fixed some things
 MB> (Gordon, could you please check this?).

I'm just as in-the-dark as you are about this issue.  I haven't had
time yet to try running or debugging recent snapshots.  devnull is
working on this, though, and he'll probably make some progress in the
next week or so.

 MK> http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb/project/hurddev/

Excellent!  Thanks a lot, Mark,

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)

Copyright (C) 1998 FIG.org; the creator offers you this gift and wants it
to remain free.  See http://www.fig.org/freedom.html for details.
  This work may be copied, modified and distributed under the GNU General
  Public License (GPL).  See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html.