Re: Base set is coming closer...

   Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 00:28:44 +0200
   From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

   I would suggest that anybody who is doing cross compiles should focus on the
   "essential" packages and the base packages (this would be Santiago and me
   for now, I hope other will join us as soon as we have the crucial base
   ready).

   sysvinit (? is there some hurd-ism to care about?),

the Hurd init is BSD style and has a lot of Hurd-isms.  Is a System V
like init really necessary?

   update (? will it run on the Hurd? Functionality important else
   data loss),

the traditional one (sync every ... seconds) should work, but I
believe Hurd filesystem translators do periodic syncing themselves.
At least there is some code in libdiskfs to do that.  The new Linux
update uses the `bdflush' syscall which the Hurd does not have.

   b) What can happen during an upgrade? Gordon, I need your help here!
   Debian's upgrade mechanism supports several scripts, that are run before
   removing, after removing, before installation and after installation. You
   can query what is happening, a new install or an upgrade. After unpacking
   all packages to be installed, they are configured, which is a seperate step.

   So, you can stop/restart daemons etc. How robust are translators during such
   an upgrade/replacement?

You can tell translators to "go away" or even force them to "go away"
(sort if the difference between sending a SIGTERM and a SIGKILL).

   What happens when a translator is connected to a file, and the file is
   contained in a package (for example /servers/exec). Is it possible to
   include an empty file in the package, or should it be created in the post
   install script? This issue is not urgent, but needs to be adressed at some
   point in the future.

You probably have to install `/hurd/exec' first.  Then tell (or force)
the old translator to go away.  There should be no reason to modify
the file `/servers/exec' once the passive translator has been set.  I
think, instead of including a file `/servers/exec' you should do

   # touch /servers/exec
   # settrans ...

(writing this message under Linux so I cannot look right now what the
exact command would be).

   Then I think I'll try to understand why the current hurd snapshot does not
   work. A fresh snapshot from the developers would be fine, too, if they think
   they have fixed some things (Gordon, could you please check this?).
   Otherwise I'll just do incremental patches I think. I'm not sure how this
   will work. Maybe it will not work at all, then we have to wait for a working
   developer snapshot (what about CVS, guys? Or would anyone else be able to
   provide an arla gateway until Michael is online again?).

You mean Thomas (who used to be Michael).  I discovered that the CVS
repository is accessable via http.  I guess this means you could use
something like `wget' to mirror the CVS repository and then use CVS
locally, but I haven't tried it yet.

Have a look at:

http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb/project/hurddev/

Mark