Re: Apologize

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> At least I have learned why so few people are able to hack dpkg succesfull.
> The code is not a mess, but quite complicated :)

Yes, the code needs to be separated, so that the database support
code is in one program, the application logic in another(perhaps several,
so that there's a clear distinction between updating the
package database and issuing queries).

I'd like to see dpkg replaced with a program which did nothing but parse
dpkg's complicated command line language and farmed out the appropriate
actions to a suite of package management programs.  But before we can do
that, we need a proper analysis of the database and system requirements
which dpkg represents.

I believe work is already underway on this.

Anyways, this is no longer appropriate for debian-hurd, so I'm only
Bccing this message there, the headers have been changed to reflect this
(and to drop this thread onto debian-dpkg).

--
Raul