Re: Cross compiler

On 4/22/21 3:55 PM, Helge Deller wrote:
> On 4/22/21 3:27 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> On 4/22/21 12:07 PM, Helge Deller wrote:
>>> Set up the chroot, e.g.:
>>> debootstrap --arch=hppa  --no-check-gpg unstable  /srv/testhttp://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian/
>>
>> You will need to use qemu-debootstrap as otherwise the command will fail
>> without the "--foreign" flag.
>
> Good point.
> It didn't failed for me, but using qemu-debootstrap is probably better.

It didn't fail because you have qemu-user-static installed and binfmt-misc
activated which proves you don't need to copy the qemu binary into the
chroot anymore :-).

>> Since Debian's qemu-user package also contains a tweak to fix the argv
>> thrashing issue in QEMU, I would actually advise against using your
>> custom qemu-user binary unless it is really necessary. But I assume
>> Debian testing/unstable should have a QEMU version recent enough for
>> proper hppa supprt.
>
> As far as I know, some of my latest hppa-related patches aren't yet in debian's unstable/testing qemu package.
> Even worse, on Debian AMD64 buster you get qemu 3.1 packages which lack much of the hppa support.

Well, Buster is going to be replaced by Bullseye soonish ;-).

> This is why I (for now) suggested to use my binary.
> But in general everyone should prefer to the debian  rebuilt qemu packages.

At least for m68k, the QEMU version in unstable is mature enough now.

sh4 currently needs one workaround for one bug which is why I'm still using
a custom binary.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz