Re: Have my PA8800 back online...

On 03.12.2017 20:00, John David Anglin wrote:
> On 2017-12-03, at 1:45 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> Anyone have a good place to buy replacement disks?
>

> Helge has bought quite a few used drives on eBay in Germany.  That's not so easy in Canada
> as many sources don't ship to Canada.

Yes, I bought regularily on ebay.de, many of those ship to Canada too.

But maybe you should consider buying a SATA PCI Controller and a SATA SSD drive instead.
You need an IDE or SCSI drive for booting, but the other things can run from the
SSD drive then. Due to low latency it's much faster than any SCSI drive.
In phantom (a C8000 machine) we have a "Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller".
It works nicely under Linux, the only bad thing is that it doesn't forward the TRIM commands.
So, maybe another Linux-supported SATA PCI controller would be better.

Helge