Re: A400 HP Server Issue

Hi Mike,

On 20.07.2016 09:50, Mike Hosken wrote:
> Hello, I have an issue with an A400 Parisc Server, I am hoping
> someone can give me some advice or a solution.
> Background,
> Its a A400 single Cpu with one 128mb ram module installed. It has no
> extra cards installed. (all pci slots are empty)
> It arrived with no button battery for ”cmos” or the hp version of
> it.
> I have put a new battery in.
> I have organised another CPU and 4x 256 mb ram modules
>
> ISSUE
> I cannot interact with  the computer over serial console.
> The machine goes through hardware checks and will boot, I intend on
> install via DD an image to hard drive and install manually as per the
> instructions on the website.
>
> I don’t have the original serial cable and made one up from what
> little info I could find on the web. I am hoping the issue is with
> the cable, as there is not much info I could find online regarding no
> access to interact with the console.
>
> I wired the cable to this configuration but I’m not confident its
> right. It’s not my software or settings for it as I have tested these
> and have no problem connecting to my A180c.

So, your A180c does work with your serial cable, but the A400 doesn't (with the same cable) ?
That's strange. The cable should work with both machines.

> DB9 Console (male) ------------------ DB25 Computer (male) 1
> ------------------ 8 2 ------------------ 3 3 ------------------ 2 4
> ------------------ 20 5 ------------------ 7 6 ------------------ 6 7
> ------------------ 4 8 ------------------ 5 9 ------------------ 22
> GND ------------------ GND
>
> Is this correct ??

I don't know....
I would need to check my cables.

> Is there away to install via ssh?? Ie install media installs the
> necessary packages to allow a ssh login to continue or maybe
> telnet??

No.

> Is there a live hppa cd etc?

No.

> Is the removal of the cmos battery an issue

I don't know.

> I will include the output of the console.
>
> Can someone get back to me please as I can cancel the order for Ram
> and CPU but won’t be able to in 24 hours, I don’t want to annoy my
> supplier for these parts, as they have gone to some effort to get me
> these parts at a very good price.

Sorry, maybe my answer was late, but not very useful either ?

Firmware Version  40.50

   Console path:         0/0/4/0.0
   Keyboard path:        0/0/4/0.0

-> seems both to be correctly on serial console.

Information: No console specified on kernel command line. This is normal.
PALO will choose the console currently used by firmware (serial).

-> Good. You have serial enabled.

-> Does the machine maybe has 2 serial ports and you are connected with your cable to the wrong one (e.g. ttyS1 instead of ttyS0) ?

[    0.000000] Linux version 3.16.0-4-parisc (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 4.8.4 (Debian 4.8.4-1) ) #1 Debian 3.16.7-ckt4-3 (2015-02-03)

-> Really old kernel.

This is the spare drive I had in my old A180c so I expect a kernel error, as stated I can’t interact to change boot path.

You could just dd the iso install image (netboot!) to this disc (e.g. on your A180c or in a PC), then reinsert the hard disc
and boot from it. It should then be possible to install on this disc.

Helge