Re: Bad LIF Image Error on Install for C8000 and J6750

On Sep 7, 2014, at 2:41 PM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> now that it boots i am only able to comment on some
> technical details of the surpassed obstacles.

Any idea if anyone can help out as to why the serial console is garbled once debian-installer kicks in? The text on the kernel boot was completely fine!

>> HL-DT-STDVDRRW GWA-4161B
>
> That's an LG DVD writer. Up to ten years old, given its specs.
> Should be fully ok for reading CD and DVD.
>

>> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5132196
>> So now I have a successful Debian HPPA boot!
>
> Just to keep any misunderstandings from taking roots:
>
> The Debian ISOs are perfectly ok for being directly burned
> to optical media. (As first track of the first session, to
> be exacting.)
>
> The problem seems to be with user interface of the (Windows ? Mac ?)
> burn software. It probably packed up the ISO image as data file
> in a file system (UDF, ISO, ..., whatever).
> A file in .cdr format is obviously unpacked from that format
> and burned to medium.
>
> On Linux i would burn a Debian ISO by:
>
>  xorriso -as cdrecord -v blank=as_needed -eject dev=/dev/sr0 debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso
>
> regardless of the type of optical medium.

Agree - I had included the OSX tip for any future fellows reading this thread or searching for help - the Debian ISO itself was perfectly fine - the only two issues I faced were 1) the strange issue with the DVD drives booting properly only from DVD-RW media, and 2) a user error on not properly burning a bootable ISO on OSX.

Thanks for the help!