Re: Bad LIF Image Error on Install for C8000 and J6750

On Aug 25, 2014, at 10:06 AM, Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Jawahr,
>
>> Hi - I’m in the process of resurrecting some old PA-RISC hardware for fun,
>
> Great! Both C8000 and J6750 do work, e.g. we use such machines as debian buildd servers: http://unstable.buildd.net/index-hppa.html
>
>> and was happy to see ISO images from debian-ports for installation.
>
> I assume you mean: http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/hppa/

Yep.

>> I tried the discs (burned to cd-rw) on both a C8000 and a J6750 - in both cases I get a ‘Bad LIF Image’ error upon attempting to boot from CD via prom.
>
> Which iso image did you tried? debian-7.0-hppa-CD-1.iso or debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso ?
> Are you sure you burned the iso image correctly, I mean how did you burned it, with which tool?
> Maybe the cd-drives don't accept cd-rw discs ? Maybe you could try standard CDs instead?
>
> Alternatively, if you have the possibility to boot via network (tftp image: http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/hppa/lifimage) it is the easiest solution.

I used both the netinst and the full iso images - no dice on either. I burned the images on CD-RW discs, using an intel mac mini and the built in ‘burn to disc’ functionality in osx. I was thinking of trying a CD-R - and possibly resort to TFTP if that also fails - will report back positive/negative results this weekend when I get a chance to hack on this some more.

>> I don’t have the full error message on me right now - but wanted to ask if anyone had tried these images successfully
>
> I just tried again the NETINST iso image (http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/hppa/debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso) by booting it from hard disc (not from CD!).
> This is what I did:
> - wget http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/hppa/debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso
> - put in a SCSI hard disc which is not used (you can do that on any Linux box, it does not need to be the PARISC machine)
> - dd if=debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso.2 of=/dev/sdc
> - reboot the PA-RISC machine and on the firmware prompt instruct it to boot from this disc:
>
> Main Menu: Enter command > bo fwscsi.5
> Interact with IPL (Y, N, Q)?> y
> Booting...
> Boot IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 0
>
> HARD Booted.
> palo ipl 1.95 root@mkhppa3 Thu Apr 17 20:15:17 UTC 2014
> Boot image contains:
>    0/vmlinux32 3215722(0) bytes @ 0xbf000
>    0/vmlinux64 4137134(0) bytes @ 0x3d0800
>    0/ramdisk 6363642 bytes @ 0x7c3000
> This worked.

Hrmm… Didn’t try and copy to disc - there is an existing HP-UX install on there that I am going to be nuking, will try this and see what happens as well.

>> and what I should be looking for to provide info for debugging.
>
> I assume you get the "Bad LIF Image" error because firmware failed to load from the CD drive.
> Does it times out?

I believe so as well - it does not seem to time out iirc - it tries to boot from CD and immediately fails to IPL - I will try and get the text of the error back to the list this weekend, it might provide some color.

>> Both installs were via serial console per the parisc-linux wiki page.
>
> as here: https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Debian_Ports_Installation
>
> Helge

Thanks for the response/help!

Cheers,