Re: debootstrap from parisc-linux.org

Hi Will,

On 04/17/2013 09:48 PM, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 09:00:00PM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
>> On 16-Apr-13, at 7:14 PM, Will Deacon wrote:
>>> After discovering the joy that is the debian-ports archive, I saw a
>>> recent
>>> post on this list which suggested using ftp.parisc-linux.org instead:
>>
>> Actually, you should use ftp.parisc-linux.org in addition to what's on
>> ports.  What's on ftp.parisc-linux.org
>> is far from complete but it's a huge step forward.
>
> I'm not sure it's possible to debootstrap from multiple archives, but I'll
> bear that in mind if I get that far. I tried bootstrapping from
> debian-ports, but that results in a hideous mess. I also get lots of
> warnings from the kernel complaining about inconsistent aliases, which
> suggests something might be miscompiled too.

My suggestion:
Use one of the installation-CDs from
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/5.0.10/hppa/iso-cd/
and do a fresh install.
Maybe even the netinst-image will work, if you then add the
debian-ports and the parisc-linux.org repositories as installation
source into /etc/apt/sources.list.

Note: I'm just now mirroring the installation-CDs into a subdirectory of
ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/debian-ports/.

>>> Would it be possible to shuffle things around on the mirror please?

Sure!
Yes, just let me know what you want (and commands with which I can do that :-)).

> AFAICT, an InRelease file isn't needed if you have Release and Release.gpg
> (we do).

Those in the parisc-linux archive are just based on a little (unfinished)
testing by me. Again, any hints which commands I need to run would be helpful.

> If they are moved under dists/, then that should be enough to get
> past this roadblock, although I think the Packages file will also need some
> work (probably regenerating) so that it doesn't include paths relative to
> the current directory.

This is what I currently do:
dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null >Packages
gzip -c9 Packages > Packages.gz