Re: Bit from the Release Team: Status of hppa

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:23:38PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 4:34 PM, dann frazier <dannf@debian.org> wrote:
> > [replying to debian-hppa]
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 09:22:22PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As previously announced[1], hppa is no longer a release architecture for
> >> Squeeze.
> >>
> >> What does this mean in practical terms?  As of the next britney run, the
> >> architecture will be ignored for the purposes of testing migration -
> >> packages which are otherwise ready (and unblocked) may migrate to
> >> testing even if they have not built on hppa, or if they would create
> >> installability problems in testing on hppa.
> >>
> >> Additionally, any bug which is specific to the hppa architecture is no
> >> longer considered release-critical.
> >>
> >> The status of hppa in unstable is unchanged; it will continue to be
> >> supported by the buildd network as now.  There will also continue to be
> >> hppa packages in testing for now to allow the porters to explore
> >> possible options for a separate release of Squeeze for hppa; as
> >> mentioned above, these may not be in-sync with the other architectures
> >> in some cases.
> >
> > Are there people interested in working on a squeeze-hppa release? If
> > so, it would probably be good to formulate a plan sooner than
> > later. fwiw, I'd be wililng to continue maintaining buildds for it.
>
> What work is involved? Is there a todo list of things we can have
> people sign up for?

I don't have a complete list, but here's the things that pop to
mind.

First off, we need to figure out where to host it. We could
potentially have a squeeze-hppa release on the official debian
mirrors, or use debian-ports.org. We'll need to talk to ftpmaster &
debian-ports maintainers to see which is most appropriate.

In addition, we'll need to work with the d-i team to make sure we have
a usable installer - as well as the debian-cd team to make sure we can
generate ISO images, though we may end up having to generate images
ourselves.

We'll also need to keep doing the things we do today - fixing
hppa-specific issues, keeping buildds running, etc. Documentation,
test installs and lenny upgrade testing would be needed too.

Post-release, we'll need to have a plan for continued updates for
squeeze security updates & point releases.

If we have interest here, it would probably behoove us to pull
together an IRC meeting with members from various subteams to assess
the full scope.