Re: hppa in danger of being ignored for testing migration and eventual removal

Matthias Klose wrote:
> dann frazier schrieb:
>>> What is considered proper java support? GCJ?
>>>
>>> Dave, have you tinkered with GCJ lately?
>
> GCJ-4.4 works fine on hppa, currently waiting in NEW ... so if you do want to
> see this resolved, please help with getting this accepted.
>
> Note that this doesn't work very well with NPTL (Ubuntu karmic), so please make
> sure that this continues to work with an glibc update.
>
> OpenJDK is non-trivial. Andrew Haley did have a look at this and came to the
> conclusion that the byte code interpreter for the zero port needs porting for
> archs with upward growing stacks.

It might not be horribly difficult to fix.  The crash comes when the VM
calls mprotect() on the second page of the stack as a guard against stack
overflow: obviously that isn't going to work if your stack grows upwards.
I don't know if that is the only place in which the VM assumes the stack
grows downwards.  It's a matter of debugging, if anyone on hppa cares enough
to get OpenJDK working.

Andrew.