Re: HPPA kernel issues (was: please push ruby1.9 1.9.0.2-4 to testing)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 03:37:06PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > Ruby 1.9 is still the development version of Ruby, but it will become
> > the stable version in december. It's not really cutting-edge stuff
> > anymore, and works very well everywhere else.
> >
> > I'm a bit annoyed by this issue: the problem seems to be a kernel
> > problem, but nobody on the hppa side seems to have the time to work on
> > it. I got access to Thibault Varene's farm, but when I tried, other hppa
> > kernel problems were present.
>
> These kernel issues currently kill the two HPPA build daemons quite
> often - they are currently running 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-parisc #2 Wed Jun
> 11 19:04:04 UTC 2008.
>
> Last week I had to reset them more often than I can count with my
> fingers without resorting to binary.
>
> Unless this gets fixed I don't see much of a future for peri and
> penalosa, at least not as DSA/debian.org systems.

FWIW, the hppa experimental buildds both run 2.6.22 kernels and seem to
do fine. Probably not a very good situation security-wise, though.

I didn't manage to get any recent kernel to boot, yet...

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/