HPPA kernel issues (was: please push ruby1.9 1.9.0.2-4 to testing)

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> Ruby 1.9 is still the development version of Ruby, but it will become
> the stable version in december. It's not really cutting-edge stuff
> anymore, and works very well everywhere else.
>
> I'm a bit annoyed by this issue: the problem seems to be a kernel
> problem, but nobody on the hppa side seems to have the time to work on
> it. I got access to Thibault Varene's farm, but when I tried, other hppa
> kernel problems were present.

These kernel issues currently kill the two HPPA build daemons quite
often - they are currently running 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-parisc #2 Wed Jun
11 19:04:04 UTC 2008.

Last week I had to reset them more often than I can count with my
fingers without resorting to binary.

Unless this gets fixed I don't see much of a future for peri and
penalosa, at least not as DSA/debian.org systems.

Also, these two build daemons are at the same location, so at the least
we're lacking redundancy in buildd location.

Then there is the issue of the porter box, which still didn't get a
fixed kernel for the Februrary kernel thing.  DSA did ask around for
help but it vanished every time.

Just FYI.
weasel