Re: Please help with hppa FTBFS in vdr-plugin-bitstreamout

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:34:21PM +0200, Tobias Grimm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> vdr-plugin-bitstreamout fails to build on hppa:
>

> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=vdr-plugin-bitstreamout&ver=0.89b-2&arch=hppa&stamp=1216038429&file=log
>
> bitstreamout uses the following code in its Makefile to determine, if a
> library is available:
>
>     cc-library = $(shell echo 'int main () { return 0; }' |$(CC)
> -l$(1:lib%=%) -o /dev/null -xc - > /dev/null 2>&1 && echo yes)
>
> And it fails when using this to check for libasound:
>
>    ifeq ($(call cc-library,libasound),yes)
>
> libasound2, libasound2-dev are installed, so there must be something
> wrong with the above code on hppa. Unfortunately, the upstream author
> decided to pipe all error messages to /dev/null.
>
> Any idea, why this does not work on hppa?

It won't work on more than hppa, but it might fail in more interesting
or different ways.

Anyway, if you use a tmpfile, you'll be fine. (This has come up often in
the kernel and other places, unfortunately.)

Of course, we could just P-a-S it, because there's really likely no way
your package will ever be used on hppa. :)

r, Kyle