hppa in lenny? (Was: Freeze exceptions related to libdb-ruby)
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: email@example.com
- Subject: hppa in lenny? (Was: Freeze exceptions related to libdb-ruby)
- From: Lucas Nussbaum <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:10:16 -0300
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20080816171016.GA9593@xanadu.blop.info>
- In-reply-to: <20080816163540.GC18468@chistera.yi.org>
- References: <20080808190619.GA4571@debian.homenet> <489CC2AD.email@example.com> <20080809122657.GA16293@debian.homenet> <20080809151329.GA7574@chistera.yi.org> <20080816150832.GA334@debian.homenet> <20080816155159.GA17992@chistera.yi.org> <20080816160201.GA8944@debian.homenet> <20080816163540.GC18468@chistera.yi.org>
On 16/08/08 at 17:35 +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Michael Schutte [Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:02:01 +0200]:
> > On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 04:51:59PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > > * Michael Schutte [Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:08:32 +0200]:
> > > > May I now ask you to force libdb-ruby into Lenny?
> > > We need it built on hppa, so you'll have to ask somebody with an hppa
> > > machine to build it for you... (Maybe Frank Lichtenheld or Domenico
> > > Andreoli.)
> > See . So I guess there is no real agreement on this?
> >  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers/2008-August/003010.html
> Lucas is right that forcing it into testing without hppa is one
> possibility that the release team has.
> However, I am not arbitrarily deciding not to use it and ask you to go
> out of your way instead to get it built on hppa.
> The reason is that if libdb-ruby/0.6.5-1 does not get build on hppa one
> way or another, it will be literally impossible to drop libdb4.-ruby
> from Lenny, which I believe was your initial goal...
> Hope this helps to clear things up a bit.
ruby1.9 is broken on hppa: 22.214.171.124, that previously built fine (it's in
the archive) exhibits the same problems as 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52.
I spent hours trying to do the hppa porters' work by investigating the
ruby1.9 build failure, with no success (and no help from the hppa
porters, except giving me access to an hppa machine, since hppa doesn't
have any developer-accessible machine maintained by DSA).
In , the state of hppa was already raised, and, while no real
conclusion has been drawn from this thread, it seems that, while most
people involved on hppa find it very sad (which I agree with), the right
thing to do is to drop hppa from the list of official archs for lenny,
since it's unlikely to be a "good" stable arch.
So far, I haven't heard any official position from the release team
about that, and we are 3 weeks away from the release according to Neil's
| Lucas Nussbaum
| firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: email@example.com GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |