Re: Strange FTBFS for ffmpeg-debian on hppa

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Reinhard Tartler <siretart@debian.org> wrote:
> "Thibaut VARENE" <varenet@debian.org> writes:

>> This shouldn't be a hppa-only fix. Building/linking non-PIC shared
>> libraries is just *wrong* and will fail miserably on most
>> architectures but x86.
>
> In this case, it is okay. This package contains highly optimized hand
> written assembler that has very complicated demands to register
> allocation constraints that demand very specific compiler options.

Yeah I have some insight on the code. And no, building SO non-PIC is
not really "okay". The performance agreement is quite moot: as soon as
you're not linking statically, you'll take a perf hit anyway...

Anyway, I guess the way this all works ain't gonna change tomorrow ;)

> A testbuild of the current svn on hppa would however be useful so I
> don't need to upload a testbaloon to unstable.

http://gropaf.esiee.fr/~buildd/logs/ffmpegcvs_3:20080706-0.2_20080708-0000

(build log from debian-multimedia ffmpeg package)

HTH

--
Thibaut VARENE
http://www.parisc-linux.org/~varenet/