Re: Trying to boot a C360 with graphic console

CC'ed parisc-linux development list for reference...

Helge Deller wrote:
Jean-Pierre HOFER wrote:
Hello,

I have tried today to tftpboot my C360 with A4071B graphic adapter with
the newest image.
(people.debian.org/~kyle/d-i/hppa/daily/netboot/2.6/boot.img from 09 June
2008 00:50).

There is no improvement. The machine do boot and display the following
message last lines:

Console colour dummy device 160x64 console handover: boot [ttyB0] -> real [tty0]

Next, no Tux, nothing else than a black display and a beating first LED on
the front panel.

Can you send the full log, e.g. captured on a serial port?
 From the above I think stifb hasn't been activated yet.

If stifb would be the culprit, you could try to boot with kernel parameter "stifb=off".
You should be able to see where it hangs then...

Hello Jean-Pierre,

I assume I know what the problem is.

There are at least 4 specifc cards with specifc ROM version which needs patching by the operating system to be supported.

Those cards and ROM codes are:
- Hyperdrive/Hyperbowl (A4071A) graphics card series:
	ID = 0x2BCB015A 0x09A02587 (Version 8.04/8)
	ID = 0x2BCB015A 0x09A02587 (Version 8.04/11)
- Thunder 1 VISUALIZE 48 card:
	ID = 0x2F23E5FC 0x09A02587 (Version 8.05/9)
- Thunder 2 VISUALIZE 48 XP card:
	ID = 0x2F8D570E 0x09A02587 (Version 8.05/12)

Some Hyperion or ThunderHawk cards probably have similiar problems.

Maybe you can check if you have one of those cards/ROMs?
I know we have not yet implemented the code to support the cards on Linux, which is probably why your screen stays black.

Maybe it's even possible to do a BIOS/ROM/PDC update to get the card on a higher/supported ROM version level? I don't know for sure. Maybe others on the list know that?

Maybe I should add checks to the Linux STI code to detect those cards, report it to the user and avoid any initialization?

Helge