Re: [Fwd: Hardware]

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Grant Grundler wrote:

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:05:05PM +0100, wr35nn89 wrote:
Hi,
sorry for this post, i've found the problem . I have reseat the RAM.....
So, Debian testing is on, i'm running 2.6.22-3-parisc64 image.
I have add a nvidia quadro4 nvs280 PCI card and I'd like to know if
there is a chance that i have X .

See this entry in our FAQ:
   http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/index.html#pcigfx

First, when i'm going to the boot admin menu, it says to me that the
nvidia card is a VGA card (it recognizes the card). I'd like to know if
I can remove the HP video card and if I can look the console on my new
video card ? Perhaps, do I have to recompile kernel to include module
for this card ?
Second, if I can't remove the HP card (console....), can i tell to Palo
that it could show me the kernel messages on the second video card ?

I expect only if you can get it working in some sort of text mode.
But I'm no gfx expert...

Actually, you only need to get one of the framebuffer drivers to work. I have a matrox card that the HP firmware doesn't support, and doesn't initalize to text mode, so I compiled the matrox framebuffer driver into the kernel and pass video=matroxfb:init,vesa:0x1BB,mem:4m console=tty0 to the kernel when booting.

The HP firmware doesn't support it, so I left the HP card in too. I could remove it and use serial console when I need it, but I don't need the PCI slot for anything else, and in this case graphics console is more convenient for me.

So, AFAICT, the best way to go is to read http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/graphics-howto.html and try everything you can.

BTW, Grant, could you add Matrox G200 to the list of cards reported to have worked with the Linux framebuffer driver.
I have
01:04.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200 (rev 01)

Ivan