Re: Installation problems on HP 712/80

BETA CAROTIN a écrit :
Hi @ all,

I subscribed to this list in the hope that someone can help me with my problem.

I got my fingers on a HP 712/80 Workstation and I'm trying to install it. Connected to this WKST is an external SCSI CD-ROM. I fired up the CD-ROM with bo scsi.2.0, the Installation starts, but it all comes to a stop pretty soon, as the CD-ROM isn't been recognized. The Installer asks me if I'd like to provide an own driver via floppy (mine has no floppy drive), or if I'd like to choose one from a list. In the list there are 2 drivers I can choose from (32 and 64 bit), but both didn't work out.
This problem occurs with Debian Sarge hppa, Debian Sid hppa and Ubuntu ? hppa.

The Installer on Debian Woody hppa seems to be working just fine, but trying to dist-upgrade the system breaks dependencies. I tried twice and I'm not able to fix this problem. My guess would be that trying to update from woody to sid is simply impossible, as it is too old.

Is there someone out there who also ran in those problems and fixed them?

I'd be glad to get some help here. Maybe you can give me some hints or a Howto, or any kind of information. I also read about setting up a TFTP-Server, or similar. Is this possible? I have no experience with this. I have another Ubuntu server installed on an old PC, is it possible to tell the WKST to boot via Network and get the Pakets from the server? If yes, could you please help me to setup this scenario? Or provide me with some useful links?

Thanks a lot in advance for your time,
Simmel

All racists are assholes, everywhere!

You have to know how far to go in going too far!

curiosity is the key to innovation

Discover the new Windows Vista
Hello,
I don't know if this can help you but I had a similar problem installing Debian on a 715/100. The scsi driver hang the computer at boot time. I had to install a woody and compile a vanilla kernel. Next I made a dist-upgrade and all worked fine until recently. I had to change from kernel 2.6.16 to 2.6.22 because a df returned IOCTL errors after my last dist-upgrade (I'm in sid) !!

May be you can try to do like me.

Regards

Cedric Pellerin