Re: Compilation linux-source-2.6.18

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 03:05:30AM -0700, Ben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just upgraded my 712 to etch and am trying to compile a kernel.
> Compilation fails in arch/parisc/mm/init.c with the following error:
>
> make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-ben linux-image
> arch/parisc/mm/init.c:34: error: conflicting types for '_text'
> include/asm-generic/sections.h:6: error: previous declaration of
> '_text' was here

Just confirmed I get the same thing with the linux-source-2.6.18 tar ball.

> I am using the debian linux-source-2.6.18 package. I remember that
> with 2.6.8 a patch had to be applied to the standard debian source
> package for hppa but that seems to have disappeared.

2.6.18 has outstanding patches for every arch.
But I don't know how debian kernels are built and where to get those
patches.  I suspect you are missing a step. Can you tell us where you
got the kernel build instructions from?

thanks,
grant