Re: still questions about J6700 - fancontrol, heat, graphics..

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 12:26:56AM +0100, kmaziz wrote:
> I did as Kyle said, updated the pciids, and now i have Visualize FX, still
> not FX10Pro.. doesnt matter anyway..
>
> I changed the fan configuration from "rack mount" to workstation, i got less
> sound (but still not enough to work without headache).. which leads to
> another worry.. it gets hot - is it 'OK' to make it work as regular server
> without worrying about burning some? or should I turn it off sometimes?

In theory it should work the same when it gets hot.
I personally don't have any experience with the "rack mount" configuration
next to my desk.

> The pci slot don't look the same as regular ones.. how could the regular pci
> graphic fit?

Mayeb you are confusing AGP with regular PCI slots?
All the J-class systems only have "regular" PCI slots.  The J6700 only
has 64-bit 66Mhz PCI slots: http://www.ccns.pl/zasoby/13/j6700.pdf
32-bit PCI cards can plug into those slots as well.

> Why are there only tests with out of date graphic cards? for eg Matrox cards
> (eg. Millenium I/II), 3dfx Voodoo and Voodoo2, ATI Mach64 (eg. Rage XL), old
> S3... Which one of those are most powerful? and suits the j6700 best?

Becuase the PC-x86 world switched to AGP as soon as PC chipsets started
shipping with AGP support. j6700 was the last of the PA8700 workstations
using Astro/Elroy chipset which could support AGP (IIRC).
AFAIK, the only parisc machine with AGP is C8000.

hth,
grant