Re: trying to update 712, but...

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 18:52 +0100, Michael Perkonigg wrote:
> Richard Hirst wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 03:28:38PM +0100, Michael Perkonigg wrote:
> >

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I downloaded the upgrade file for my 712 to upgrade the firmware. This
> >>is a shell file which builds the actual .frm file.
> >>It seems to be built to run on HP-UX and I suspect it to not work
> >>properly with Linux.
> >>I get some error messages when starting the shell script:
> >>
> >>gecko60:~/update# ../PF_C7120023
> >>x - C7120023.text
> >>touch: warning: `touch 0417072896' is obsolete; use `touch -t
> >>199604170728.00'
> >>touch: warning: `touch 0417072896' is obsolete; use `touch -t
> >>199604170728.00'
> >>Compiling unpacker for non-ascii files
> >>/tmp/cc3CRVYS.o(.text+0x2c): In function `main':
> >>: warning: the `gets' function is dangerous and should not be used.
> >>x - C7120023.frm [compressed]
> >>ERROR: wc results of C7120023.frm are 5518 29034 709632 should be 5518
> >>22318 709632
> >>

> >By that time it has already run 'sum' on the binary file and got
> >the right answer.  My guess would be a difference between the
> >HP-UX and Linux version of 'wc' when it comes to processing
> >binary files.  If so, then the resulting C7120023.frm is probably
> >fine.  Might be nice if someone else confirmed that before you
> >trash your machine though ;-)
> >
> >Richard
> >

> Right, that would be nice. :-)
> You are right, sum already calculated the correct answer. Nevertheless I
> am not able to boot from it.
>

> >>touch: warning: `touch 0307160396' is obsolete; use `touch -t
> >>199603071603.00'
> >>touch: warning: `touch 0417072796' is obsolete; use `touch -t
> >>199604170727.00'
> >>gecko60:~/update#
> >>
> >>I had a look into the shell script and saw that 'wc' and 'sum' are used
> >>to generate numbers.
> >>What would wc do better to check the file sum  can't?
> >>sum seems to think that the file is correct but wc doesn't.
> >>If I write the file to a tape I cannot boot from it, it is in the search
> >>list but if I try to boot from the tape I am thrown back to the admin
> >>console without a word, if I write it to a CD I can boot but the updater
> >>thinks that the firmware data isn't loadable.
> >>
> >>Anyone a guess or could send me a working file to upgrade my 712 to the
> >>latest firmware?
> >>
> >>712/60, 96MB, tape drive is a Tandberg TDC 4100.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Mike

if you've got a network, using a DHCP boot server and either tftp if the
712 is new enough or rbootd if not might be easier than tape. The
firmware is just a standard LIF image once extracted.

follow the debian install instructions but the file served should be the
firmware file not the installer if you're unsure.

Stu.