Re: saods9 build failure (tcl8.4 related)

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 07:31:44PM +0000, Joel Soete wrote:
> Justin Pryzby wrote:

> >>I also encountered some SEGV with tcl/tk 8.4 (a simple launch of
> >>wish8.4 is enough to reproduce this) and some libc6 when this last
> >>one is build with gcc 4.0 or 4.1.
> >>
> >Do you mean that libc6 crashes on hppa if it is built with gcc4.0 or
> >gcc4.1, even in applications not using tcl?
> >
> no, it works for the most even with tcl/tk8.3 but not with 8.4 ?
Are you asking about saods9?  Upstream ds9 is written for use with
tcl8.4.  I hacked it to compile with tcl8.3 (mostly s/const// in a
bunch of files), but couldn't get it to run because of a libtk-img
dependency, which carries an indirect tcl8.4 dependency *sigh*.

See #304804 for full details; the short story is: If I compile a local
copy of tcl8.4 with --disable threads, then I can fix a crash in ds9
that occurs because Debian's tcl8.4 is compiled --enable-threads.  But
I resent having to statically link with a local copy of tcl, so I'm
probably not going to do it.

> >>I tried so to rebuild it with gcc 3.4 but it failed (as well as latest
> >>buildd logs) oth with gcc-3.3 libc6 rebuild fine and tcl8.4 seems to
> >>work fine too.
> >>

> >Are you saying that you requeued it for sarti?  I noticed a second
> >build failure:
> >
> > http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=saods9&ver=4.0b7-1&arch=hppa
> > * Wed 23 Nov 2005 16:19: maybe-failed
> > * Thu 01 Dec 2005 02:30: maybe-failed
> >
> >>Awaiting a fix that libc6 + gcc4, could you try to rebuild your libc
> >>with gcc-3.3 and check if that help you too?
> >>

> >Aurelien Jarno, who is sponsoring this package, succeeded in building
> >it on his own hppa machine, so my own problem is solved.
> >
> Cool, btw: any idea how did it solve?
I have no clue.  Like I say, he thinks its a problem specific to
sarti.  However, Steve Langasek seemed to think that the problem was
threaded tcl on hppa.

> > He suggested that the problem was the sarti build.
> >
> Unfortunately, i have no clue on which libc6 is currently installed
> on sarti, sorry :-(
I still don't understand why libc6 is in question ..

Anyway, why doesn't sbuild show this kind of thing?  Well, isn't it
guaranteed to be libc6 from unstable, anyway (2.3.5-8.1)?

--
Clear skies,
Justin