Re: saods9 build failure (tcl8.4 related)

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 06:29:31PM +0000, Joel Soete wrote:
> Justin Pryzby wrote:
>
> >Steve Langasek on IRC noted that tcl8.4 was b0rked on hppa, accounting
> >for the recent build failure:
> >
> > http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=saods9&ver=4.0b7-1&arch=hppa&stamp=1132780782&file=log&as=raw
> >
> >Compiling with tcl8.3 would apparently solve this issue, and also
> >close #304804: "Crashes when run against a threaded TCL library".  I
> >succeeded in creating a patch to compile with tcl8.3, but then there
> >is a runtime error "Have: tcl8.3; need: tcl8.4".  I believe this is
> >due to (at least) libtk-img Depends: tcl8.4.  So using tcl8.3 is not a
> >possibility for this package (assuming I continue to link against
> >Debian's shared libraries, and not statically link against a copy in
> >DS9 source tree).
> >
> >Could someone let me know what my options are?  Curiously, the 3.0.3-1
> >build succeeded:
> >
> > http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=saods9&ver=3.0.3-1&arch=hppa&stamp=1112859634&file=log&as=raw
> >
> >Even though it also calls $tclsh makemake.tcl >Makefile
> >
> >I think the best option might be to request a P-A-S entry !hppa (and
> >make the associated Architechure: update).  Does anyone agree?

> I also encountered some SEGV with tcl/tk 8.4 (a simple launch of
> wish8.4 is enough to reproduce this) and some libc6 when this last
> one is build with gcc 4.0 or 4.1.
Do you mean that libc6 crashes on hppa if it is built with gcc4.0 or
gcc4.1, even in applications not using tcl?

> I tried so to rebuild it with gcc 3.4 but it failed (as well as latest
> buildd logs) oth with gcc-3.3 libc6 rebuild fine and tcl8.4 seems to
> work fine too.
Are you saying that you requeued it for sarti?  I noticed a second
build failure:

  http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=saods9&ver=4.0b7-1&arch=hppa
  * Wed 23 Nov 2005 16:19: maybe-failed
  * Thu 01 Dec 2005 02:30: maybe-failed

> Awaiting a fix that libc6 + gcc4, could you try to rebuild your libc
> with gcc-3.3 and check if that help you too?
Aurelien Jarno, who is sponsoring this package, succeeded in building
it on his own hppa machine, so my own problem is solved.  He suggested
that the problem was the sarti build.  I had already mailed
hppa@buildd.d.o, because that was my initial though.  Now testing
propogation is just waiting on gcc dependency:

  http://packages.qa.debian.org/saods9

Unfortunately, I don't think I can help at all here, since I have no
hppa access..

--
Clear skies,
Justin