Re: tulip module no longer works on a500

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:31:27PM -0500, David H. Barr wrote:
> > (a) why do install kernel and resulting installed kernel
> >    enumerate NICs in different order?
> >    AFAIK, NICs are only discovered in "PCI Bus" order.
> >    Only way to change the ethX names is with nameif.
>
> I'm going to entitle this one "It was late and I was tired" (thanks
> Gary Larson!)  I have not been able to reproduce this behaviour on
> subsequent attempts.

I'm perfectly happy with that explanation. :)

> It -is- worth noting that the addin NIC won't come up off a hard
> boot.  I have to hardboot, login over ttyS0, and issue a soft
> reboot.

This is weird too. Which firmware version does this C200 have?
The parisc-linux FAQ explains where to find newer revs.

> > (b) fixes to support 21142 Phy (your add-on card)
> >    only got posted a few monthes ago.
>
> Aren't BOTH of my net interfaces 21142 Phy?
> The only difference is "rev 21" vs "rev 30" AFAICS.

21 and 30?  Oh...that's Hexdecimal! :^)
Your dmesg output has 33 and 48 (decimal).
I'm quite certain that 0x30 is 21143:

         Table 3-7. 21143 Revision and Step Number
Device            Revision Number            Step Number
21143­PB          3                          0
21143­TB          3                          0
21143­PC          3                          0
21143­TC          3                          0
21143­PD          4                          1
21143­TD          4                          1

I believe 0x21 is 21142. :^)
(Note that a500 has "rev 65" - ie 0x41)

> >    I don't expect your add-on NIC to work with 2.6.8-2.
>
> Quite bizarre.  I've just finished a netinstall of debian-base and
> apt-get dist-upgraded my way to testing via that very add-in NIC.
> Still using 2.6.8-2-32-smp; want to try a newer uni-proc kernel later.

Not Bizarre. We had the same issue for 21143 - but only on 550Mhz
and faster parisc processors.
In any case, you are definitely seeing a different issue.

> > (c) built-in NIC should work fine.  No idea what's going on here.
> >    I'm not aware of any code changes that might break this.
>
> Tried a fresh net install with -no- additional cards in (just the naked
> c200 + drives) and I can of course get a basic system, but none of
> the things mentioned so far in this thread can bring up the onboard tulip.

Ok. I can't explain this. And TBH, I'm really not interested in chasing
this on the 2.6.8.x kernel. If you can try either the 2.6.12 kernel
in unstable or test 2.6.14-rc2-pa2 kernel from
	 cvs.parisc-linux.org/download/linux-2.6

I'd be more interested. Or just ignore it and use the add-on NIC
for as long as that is working.

> > eth0: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 33 at 0xf2802000, 00:60:B0:B2:F8:65, IRQ 99.
> > eth1: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 48 at 0xf2803000, 00:60:B0:FD:B4:59, IRQ 96.
> >
> > d) why is this kernel reporting MMIO space?
>
> I'm going to have to chew / google on this one, as it's a bit over my head.
> We'll see if I make any headway tomorrow with the new kernel.

"MMIO" means "Memory Mapped IO". The "0xf2803000" is the physical memory
space address the NIC was assigned to use. Look in /proc/iomem for
other MMIO assignments.

IO Port space is a seperate address space. Most older PCI cards
support both address spaces and it's up to the OS to use one.

This is a compile time option and I'm glad it's being used.

thanks,
grant