Re: Request for help: upgrade Woody -> Sarge

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 09:45:13PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> As i personaly only have access on HPPA C360 which has some wired
> firmware, which is only able to _boot_ 32bit kernels, but able to _run_
> 64 kernels, i needed to recompile the current woody distri kernel 2.4.17
> with a 64bit capable compiler and a special kernel option and do the
> upgrade tests afterward.

The kernel rebuild shouldn't be necessary if you upgraded the kernel first.
Recent kernels (for about the past year or two) will detect 32 vs 64-bit
firmware compatibility and switch to 32-bit mode as needed for firmware
calls.

> I would like to ensure that i don't have done any mistakes and would
> like to ask, if someone with access to a _real_ 64bit HPPA machine could
> verify our upgrade path.

Well, all PA20 machines are _real_ 64-bit machines.
Just the first generation workstation PDC (firmware) wasn't.

PA-RISC has three principal flavors of "PDC" for PA2.0 machines:
o 32-bit only (aka "legacy PDC".   e.g. C240, C360)
o 32-/64-bit  (i.e. supports both. e.g. C3000, J5000, D-, R-, K-class)
o 64-bit only (aka "PAT PDC".      e.g. A500, C8000, rp3440, L-, N- class)

> Please keep in mind that you need a plain woody installation for that...

Sorry, I only have Debian "testing" on my boxes.

If someone wants to figure out how to remotely, net install
woody on an a500, I can provide access to an A500. They get
remote console access and access to a local server to net boot
from.

hth,
grant