Extended partition on IDE disk

Hello

I've installed a 160 GB Maxtor IDE disk into my C3600 and got the
following Problems:
- The System loads the IDE Module while booting, but it doesn't recognise
the disk (/proc/ide/hda does not exists). When I try access the device
(fdisk -l /dev/hda) the disk is detected. Is this behavior normal?
- The Disk has an extended partition with logical drives inside (fdisk
prints them), but the i can't access them. udev only creates (hda and hda1
.. hda4). If I create the device node manually, and try to mount, it
fails.

Has someone an idea?

Thanks in advance
Anton