Re: [mc - Midnight Commander] new release for hppa

-------------------
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 07:15:14PM -0700, Grant Grundler wrote:
> Hi Grant + lists,
> > > I would also like to submit a doubt: I used an HP9000/785 (C3k)
> > > workstation for my work. How can I be sure that I compiled it as
32-bit
> > > system binary of 64-bit system binary? If I remember well this
C3k is a
> > > 64bit workstation, isn't it?
> >
> > While the c3k is PA 2.0 CPU and can run 64-bit kernels, all of
> > parisc-linux user space is 32-bit. Unless you specified
> > hppa64-linux-gcc, you'll be getting a 32-bit binary.
>
> I haven't specified any particular compiler, so as you said, the
package
> is a 32-bit binary.
> Do you want me to build the same pkg with the `hppa64-linux-gcc' and
> provide it to you all?
> Or is it enough for the Debian purpose to have the 32-bit binary?
> Thank you in advance for your answer.

As Grant said there is NO 64bit userland on parisc. 64bit binaries are
pointless (besides you're going to have hard time building any,
provided there is no 64bit glibc :-P).

> I appreciate any comment or critic on the mc pkg; Ludovic Drolez
asked to
> co-maintain the pkg for x86. Is it the case to have also an
`official' uploader for hppa?

You should familiarize yourself with how Debian packages are built and
maitained. All packages in the "main" section of the archive are built
on all archs (unless specified otherwise in the control file). There's
no need for a "per-arch" uploader.

HTH

Thibaut VARENE
PA/Linux ESIEE Team