Re: woody backports of packages needed to run 2.6 kernel-images on hppa

Matt Taggart writes...

> For anyone still running woody on hppa, I have backported the needed packages
> to be able to use 2.6 kernel-image packages from unstable on woody. I have
> made them and recent kernel-image packages available via an apt source,

Daniel Kobras discovered that when running 2.6 on woody there is a weird
problem when invoking ld as a command,

  $ /lib/ld.so.1
    Inconsistency detected by ld.so: rtld.c: 631: dl_main: Assertion
    `_dl_rtld_map.l_libname' failed!

rbrad and others did a bunch of investigation on this a while back,

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2003-03/msg00380.html

The system and ld behave normally except when invoked in this manner (which
apparently some things do). This is fixed in unstable, but of course woody it
too old to have the fix. There may be a way to work around this bug in the
kernel, but it's not clear if adding a work around for this corner case is
worth the effort and maintainence. If 2.6+woody with this bug is still ok for
you, great. If not, I have also added more recent 2.4 kernels from unstable to
the apt source I setup (and just renamed).

deb http://people.debian.org/~taggart/debian woody linux-hppa

Be warned that the 2.4.27 images do not have tg3 so if you have one of those
you'll need to use 2.4.26. The kernel-image packages available from this
source will be updated as they are in unstable.
More details at http://people.debian.org/~taggart/backports/

--
Matt Taggart
taggart@debian.org