Re: Graphics mode on my C3000 - still no joy

Harry Cochran wrote:

Thanks Helge and Joel,

I edited /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 according to your recommendations. It now
reads:

Section "Screen"
	Identifer	"Default Screen"
	Device	"Generic Video Card"
	Monitor	"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth 8
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		8
		Modes		"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

On reboot, I get the same error as before. A dialog box asking if I wanted
to see what was wrong with the X configuration and I said "Yes".

you would better answer no, but that doesn't matter now ;)

This
brought up a window which said "Process set to nice value 0 instead of -10
as requested" and a bunch of XFree disclaimers.

Check now if your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 still looks like <ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/XFree86/XF86Config-4> and you can re-launch startx from some shell (with preference of non root user)

umm that said is that your fb0 point well to your EG/PCI card? I mean at the PDC prompt which "Console path:" is it shown?

Or, Helge, is that better to use another fb (eg fb1) ?

Please send us your dmesg and /var/log/XFree86.0.log

It feels like the changes
I'm making to XF86Config-4 aren't making any difference. Is the process
xinit goes through reading XFConfig-4 dynamic on every boot?
Hope so ;)

Also, does anyone have any idea about the error:
"Setting up xfonts-scalable (4.3.0.dfsg.1-5) ...
fmt: invalid line number increment: '0'
dpkg: error processing xfonts-scalable (--configure):

umm I never encounter this pb may try to re-install (apt-get install --reinstall xfonts-scalable)

hth,
   Joel