Re: pa-risc/linux abi

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:33:03AM -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Damn you.  For reasons known only to my personal demons, I have developed
>
> :-)  You truly are a wonderful creation, you know!

:^)

> > a pa-risc assembler kernel to make up for gcc's crappy single precision
> > performance, so I can have defaults that work without HP's compiler.
> > Can you confirm that Linux uses HP's 32 bit ABI (i.e., which registers
> > are used in argument passing, and how the stack frame works)?  My
>
> Debian hppa is 32 bit -- will forward the rest of this to the experts.

Debian HPPA is 32-bit ELF.
HPUX is 32-bit SOM. Different binary format.
I'm pretty sure the calling convention is the same for both.

(But I'm not the expert, tausq is traveling, hopefully jda/willy can reply)

> > assembly kernel works under HP-UX, and I'm wondering if it will under
> > linux.  The document I used to write it I found on the linux site, but
> > it's an HP doc:
> >    http://ftp.parisc-linux.org/docs/arch/rad_11_0_32.pdf
>
> I can try it out if it will work with 2.6.0.  I tried a build with
> just the prefetch and -mpa-risc-2-0, and it failed.  If I can't figure
> it out I may give you a shout.

Anyone who has deamons that drive him to writing assembly for
"dead" architectures deserves access to said architectures at least.
If Debian or some other kind soul can't provide it, please contact
me offline and I can arrange remote access to a crash and bash system.

thanks,
grant