Re: Problem during the reboot phase (netinst mage 2004-05-16)

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 06:24:42PM +0000, Joel Soete wrote:
Hi Joel,
> Yes '0/vmlinux64' is what is called 'recovery kernel' in palo.conf and
> stand in 'PALO' partition (specific to parisc linux).

I changed it in order to have a boot string more compliant to my needs.

> Now that you reach to boot it would be nice that you have a look in
> /boot where you would find the usual kernel vmlinux (and also where you
> would put other testing kernel before 'production'). And 'df -k' would
> also shows a 'boot' fs like:
> /dev/sda2                123699     66119     51193  57% /boot
> /dev/sda5               1692128   1209236    396936  76% /
>
> (size came from my own system) and I put in my /etc/palo.conf something
> like:
> --commandline=2/vmlinux root=/dev/sda5 HOME=/ TERM=vt100
> --init-partitioned=/dev/sda
>
> (check carefully that sda2 is well your /boot and sda5 your / (ie your
> root partition); I just append TERM for you)

thanks

> and just re-run palo (without parameter it will take /etc/palo.conf as
> default in which you say which disk to use: sda).
the same for me, but for the boot device (sdb, because of its less
capacity). I shall use sda (4.xGB) for application use, or to test d-i as
well. That is better, isn't it?

> That said, palo is a bit like grub, it doesn't need to be run each time
> you want to use or test a new kernel (like required lilo): just put it
> in your /boot with another name like vmlinux-2.6.6-pa3, interupt the
> boot and just change the boot cmd with 2/vmlinux-2.6.6-pa3 and b ;-)
> Just re-run palo to put in place a new palo, a new kernel that you fill
> enough tested and robust for you.

yes I know (I worked for HP Italy on hp9000 servers for a while, that is
whay I love them so much!)

> >the vt102 terminal get my console *dirty* of character, therefore I prefer
> >vt100 with seem a little bit *cleaner*.
> >In the syslog of the installer i found:
> >root=/dev/ram init=/linuxrc console=ttyS0 TERM=vt100
> >palo_kernel=0/vmlinux64
> >
> Well depends of your actual terminal with hp terminal emulating vt200
> and a terminal emulation like minicom vt200 works fine for me.

I  shall try it

> Yes, it's a know issue: it seems to be a licence pb :_(
> But Grant seems to confident to obtain something :-)
> But there are reports of succesfull use of some pci aty and voodoo2 gfx
> card. (have a look in this ml or in the parisc-linux ml)
> For my part I was luckyless: I try an aty but it was a card for a sun
> and its initialisation is different then a pc model :_(
[...]
> Well, I hack a bit this stuff and reach to re-compile the Xhp server but
> I nerver reach to find how to implement /dev/crt0 ;)
> But that was only (not applicable for FX4) in the hope to improve the
> color dep of gfx encounter on 712, c110 or b180.
> And even if I work much more on this stuff, it will not help a lot
> because it would also required to change app libs to use actually more
> colors.
>
> Unfortunately the only ddreasonable hope is Grant .
>
> Regards,
>    Joel
I hope too, he also said to me that actually it is not supported, maybe in
a future?
Regards

SteX
--