Re: rp7410 and 32/64bits kernel

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 01:36:55PM +0200, SteX wrote:
> yesterday I tested another installation on my C3000: I was surprised that
> the installation kernel was 32bits and worked. After I figured it out, I
> tested an available 64bits image.
> How can it be possible that a 32bits kernel image works fine on 64bits arch?

C3000 has dual-mode firmware so you can run either 32 or 64-bit kernels
on it.  Actually, Ryan just committed a patch to let 64-bit kernels
work on machines which only have 32-bit firmware, so you can now run
64-bit kernels on machines all the way back to the C160 (not the C160L!).
You should prefer a 32-bit kernel over a 64-bit kernel for the moment on
a C3000, unless it has more than 3.5GB of RAM or so.  It should be faster
(want to produce some lmbench runs to demonstrate this?)