Re: Graphics mode on my C3000

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 08:58:11AM -0400, Harry Cochran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I have installed Debian hppa on my C3000. I had to use a
> serial console to do it. I installed X with tasksel. When I change
> back to graphics mode (pa con GRAPHICS(2)), the system boots, and
> at the end when it tries to go into X ("Starting X display manager: xdm."),

Historically, xdm has not been well behaved (tromps through /dev/mem).
If you absolutely need a display manager for graphical login,
pick another one (gdm, kdm).

>  the screen flashes 3 times and the system dies.
>  I've seen comments from several people that they got their
> C3000 going. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get my console into
> graphics mode.

Have you read the FAQ?
http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/index.html#fxgfx

And you want to read the graphics how-to:
http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/graphics-howto.html

 Also, if I special instructions in palo.conf to get the usb
> keyboard and the usb mouse going, I would appreciate a pointer on what I
> should put in.

You don't.

> Interestingly, when you go into ipl on boot, it says
> "console=tty0" (I was expecting "console=GRAPHICS(2)" ... tried change to
> this, but it didn't help).

tty0 is correct.

grant