Peculiar X Issues

I have two issues that I encounter when using X on my 712/80 running Debian Sarge* (testing):

1) I just installed a new Startech 411 KVM switch last night and now my mouse does not work.  It works with exactly the same monitor, keyboard and mouse, through a Cybex (now Avocent) 2-port KVM and when directly connected.  Any suggestions?

2) I'm running IceWM. When I startx as root, I get the white background that I have configured in my .preferences file.  I use the same file for regular users.  When I startx as a regular user, there is no background colour, only the grey thatch X background.  Could this be a path= or permissions issue?

If you need additional information, please let me know.

Thanks for the help in advance,

BB

* I 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' nightly.  One could very safely assume that all installed packages are the most current from the testing branch.