Re: sadc and flock

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 03:03:56PM -0600, Grant Grundler wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was getting cron job output from /usr/lib/sysstat/sa1 script.
> The error was something like "flock: resource not avaiable".

RTFM...but it doesn't solve the problem:
       -L     sadc  will  try  to  get an exclusive lock on the outfile before
              writing to it or truncating it.  Failure  to  get  the  lock  is
              fatal,  except in the case of trying to write a normal (i.e. not
              a dummy and not a header) record to an existing file,  in  which
              case sadc will try again at the next interval. Usually, the only
              reason a lock would fail would be if another sadc  process  were
              also  writing  to the file. This can happen when cron is used to
              launch sadc .  If the system is under heavy load,  an  old  sadc
              might still be running when cron starts a new one. Without lock-
              ing, this situation can result in a  corrupted  system  activity
              file.

In general, this box does NOT get heavily loaded. It's a FTP/HTTP server
as well but only for local, internal (.cup.hp.com) traffic.
MRTG shows 5 minutes avg outbound is < 500KB/s during peak usage.
So I'm still looking for other explanations.

thanks,
grant