Re: scsi problem on a scorpio (715)

Steve Bromwich wrote :
If it helps (rather than having to follow Carlos' method) I have a couple
of kernels that are preconfigured with a low tag queue depth I can put up
for download; one in .deb format, the other just as a tarball. I'm
moderately sure they should work on your 715, and should at least get you
to the point where you can compile your kernel without the drive locking.

Cheers, Steve

If I understand correctly, Carlos' method allows to boot the
715 directly with a modified kernel. But to set up the system, it is needed to also create an install image using that kernel. It seems a bit complicated for me (well, with my knowledge), though I understand it is needed when no drive can be used at boot time.

However I noticed that could use one drive: the 715 was (apparently) stable when I used only the Seagate drive. Trouble comes when I try to use the Quantum drive, or both.

Note: indeed, I first tested Debian on a 715/33 an everything went right as it was using the Seagate drive. When I decided to install on the 715/50, putting toghether all the RAM and the 2 drives, the Tag Queuing Problem showed up... because of the Quantum drive of the 715/50, and moreover I also had to disconnect the scsi floppy drive.

So, I installed the base system and expected to be able to change the kernel, then format and use the Quantum drive. A single drive (524 MB) was not big enough to build the kernel, so I mounted /usr/src through nfs.

I built the kernel, using the "Simple Recipe" from the Howto, but downloaded a compressed image rather than using the CVS. I did not knew which version to use. I used
linux-2.4.24-pa0.tar.bz2

- the kernel booted correctly, but the system stopped at "Setting system clock using hardware clock". I knew the battery was dead, and found an answer in the archive (rename hwclock* boot scripts). I finally bough a new battery.

- Previously, connecting the SCSI floppy drive would cause the kernel to hang early with SCSI bus resets (the tag queuing problem would show up later, using mkfs for instance). I give it a try with the new kernel. Once the renaming of the sd* devices solved, it could be connected with the system still working. But, how to use the drive? mounting a DOS formatted floppy does not work.

Anyway, many thanks for your help.

Now, I have got a working HP 715/50 with
- 54 MB RAM
- 2 * 524 MB scsi disk
- scsi floppy
- 19" monitor