Re: Problem installing base system on C180

Hello Chris,

chris_koknat@agilent.com wrote:

Joel,

I've used the latest netiso CD - 2.4.22.  I made both the f0 and the Linux partitions bootable.

From the mailing list archives, I saw that there is a possible conflict between the SCSI hard drive and the SCSI CD-ROM drive, so I used the CD initially, and then installed the base system from a NFS source.  It seemed to work.

However, when I boot, I get a "bad magic" error.  Any ideas?

Not really :( but it is really a kernel pb :(

I have a look for "bad magic" error in the m-l but only results spook about c3k model and a hp-hil bug.

I also have a look for 'c180' and find much more as:
<http://lists.parisc-linux.org/hypermail/parisc-linux/9578.html>
reporting a successfull install of debian 3.0 (i supose r0)

and many other stuff as removing additional card if there are.

For my part, I just install from scratch a c110 model (iirc near same model with a more powerfull cpu) with an external cdrom drive (a hp dvd-rom more exactly) with also debian 3.0 r0 cd without any pb.

So may be a good idea should be check if there are any additional card and remove it (if there are). If you can connect an external cdrom, try to find out an old 'debian 3.0 r0' [seems to be still available at <http://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-cd/3.0_r0/jigdo/hppa/> ] to install it. If you don't have this oppotunity try a oldest netiso <http://pateam.esiee.fr/cd-images/testing/palinux-2.4.20-pa35-20030513-netinst.iso> eg

Thanks,

- Chris
Sorry I don't have more idea for the moment.
May be some other C180 owner would help you better than I.

Well come,
   Joel