RE: Problem installing base system on C180

Joel,

I've used the latest netiso CD - 2.4.22.  I made both the f0 and the Linux partitions bootable.

>From the mailing list archives, I saw that there is a possible conflict between the SCSI hard drive and the SCSI CD-ROM drive, so I used the CD initially, and then installed the base system from a NFS source.  It seemed to work.

However, when I boot, I get a "bad magic" error.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

 - Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Soete [mailto:jsoe0708@tiscali.be]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 11:37 PM
To: chris_koknat@agilent.com; debian-hppa@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Problem installing base system on C180

Hi Chris,

the base system.

Which CD did you use Debian-3.0 r0, r1? and netinstall ?

May be try also a recent netiso cd from ESIEE team <http://pateam.esiee.fr/cd-images/testing/>

hth,
   Joel

I'm installing 2.4.22 (one CD) on a C180 workstation.  It hangs when installing the base system.

The message is either:
Retrieving
file:/instmnt/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.2.5-6_hppa.deb

or sometimes

Retrieving
file:/instmnt/pool/main/d/dpkg/dpkg_1.9.20_hppa.deb

I configured cfdisk with boot, swap, and Linux partitions.

At first, I tried to make the boot and Linux partitions bootable.  The "PA-RISC Linux Boot HOWTO" guide suggests this in chapter 4.3.3.  However, this produces an error message: "More than one primary partition is marked bootable.  DOS MBR cannot boot this.".  Therefore, I just made the boot (f0) partition bootable.

I have tried rebooting multiple times.  I have cleaned dust off of the CD.  I have also tried doing a bad block scan on the Linux partition.  No luck.

Any ideas?

 - Chris Koknat