Re: HP C180-XP CDROM boot.

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:03:25 -0700 (PDT)
"K. David Prince" <kdp@hanhet.loew.washington.edu> wrote:

> I just "inherited" three HP Visualize C180-XP PA-RISC machines.  I would
> like to install the Debian 3.0 distribution.  I have burned the hppa
> disk1 iso.  I want to do a "minimal" install from this disk, then do the
> rest via the net.  I've done "tons" of i386 Debian installs, parisc is
> new to me, however.
>
> I can get into the boot_admin screens fine.  My problem is that when I
> insert the Debian installation disk and do the "search" or "search ipl"
> or"search scsi" I'm not coming up with the scsi CDROM as a bootable
> device. The only scsi device that comes up as bootable is the scsi
> harddrive. While doing the search command, the CDROM LED flashes, so I
> believe the system is probing the hardware.  I've tried this search on
> two of the three machines with the same result.
>
> I'm wondering if there might be some kind of hardware jumper setting
> that will let the CDROM show up as a bootable device?
>
> These machines don't have floppies, so I'm dead if I can't get the CDROM
> to boot.
>
> Documents read:
>
>   PA-RISC/Linux Boot HowTo
>   Readme: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 "Woody" - Official hppa Binary-1 CD
>   HP C180 Owners Guide
>   Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 for PA-RISC, Perens, et. al.
>
> These documents either don't address the issue of making the CDROM
> bootable, or they assume the CDROM is bootable and say nothing more.  I
> mean "make" in the sense that on Intel machines, you go to the BIOS and
> set the boot sequence, and yer done!
>
> Hints?
maybe.

first of all, it's a nice thing you've read these documents, but you
obviously missed some useful resources.

I don't see item 2) in your list (see the template at the end of the mail)
:P

anyway, since it's been quicker for me to give you the clues rather than
the links to them, i can see at least 3 good reasons for the symptoms
you describe to happen:

1) You have a non-bootable CD drive (like some cd recorders and some
incompatible cd readers)
2) the block size (usually a jumper on the back) is incorrectly set.
Check it's '512'.
3) You have put the CD upside down in the cd tray.

Maybe we should add another FAQ entry about that...

Anyway, I'd be glad to hear from you once you'll have setup your C. In
particular, I would much appreciate you sending me the output of the
following commands:

dmesg
cat /proc/cpuinfo
uname -a

So that i can update our list accordingly and gather useful info for devel
purpose.

HTH,

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://pateam.esiee.fr/

----- This is a template message.

1) Read the PA-RISC/Linux Boot HOWTO
http://pateam.esiee.fr/doc.html

2) Read the FAQ
http://www.fr.parisc-linux.org/faq/

3) Read the parisc-linux mailing-list archive
http://www.fr.parisc-linux.org/mailing-lists/

4) Check the Hardware Database
http://hwdb.parisc-linux.org/

5) Check the supported machines list
http://pateam.esiee.fr/list.html

6) Read the "HOWTO Report a Kernel Bug"
http://www.fr.parisc-linux.org/faq/kernelbug-howto.html

7) Read the "HOWTO Build a PA-RISC/Linux Kernel"
http://www.fr.parisc-linux.org/kernel/

----
That template may grow as some silly questions will reappear :P